Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The debate

So recently I have debated deleting my facebook account. I read on a blog that a friend of mine did it because she was constantly on it. I unfortunately have the same addiction. I find myself checking it from my phone multiple times a day as well as on the lap top. I love facebook for the simple fact that I can be nosy without anyone knowing that I am being nosy! I love that I can stay updated on the lives of old friends, new friends, and people I dont even know very well. Also its a great way to stay in touch with my family, they are not great about checking my blog but they all check their facebook as well! Especially with the new arrival approaching and the family and friends being so far away, facebook is a great way for me to post pictures and update everyone on our progress as a family.
Now, the downside to facebook. First of all, it is an addiction. There is no other way to put it, I have an addiction to facebook. I check it when I am bored, I check it when I am tired, I check it every time I open the computer...its pathetic! Also I have been having a slight problem with getting offended with comments...this could be the out of control hormones that I am experiencing right now, or the simple fact that you are not able to sense sarcasm with words only. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a very sarcastic person so while may be sarcastically venting on one of my status updates, some people my think that I am seriously upset or stressing out. This is turn leads to comments that I dont always like. I had an incident the other day where I made a sarcastic comment, where I was trying to be funny about the baby being late (I guess I am not a good comedian) and ended up getting my feelings hurt by a comment (dont worry, it wasnt anyone that checks out my blog). After being upset about this and venting to my husband about it, I realized that it was most likely a combination of hormones and miscommunication on both ends.
Justin and I have realized that facebook, while having so many great aspects to it also has many downfalls as well. I wish I could say that I could just knock my addiction without getting rid of it all together but in reality I doubt it. We are considering both deleting our accounts and just sticking to a blog. Opinions on this matter would be great!

4 comments:

Christina said...

Love the Burnt Blessings story! I'll have to remember that when I burn another batch of cookies. LOL! Facebook, yep it's one of those hard things to decide. I deleted mine for the simple fact I was checking in too much and recognized that there was never a good point to it. However, I know there are amazing blessings that can come from having the account to. For me it was a personal preference, that I knew my family and I needed. Good luck with your decision with facebook, even more importantly with the birth of that Baby Girl!

Heather said...

I say keep it for a while. When the baby comes you will be too busy with her to check it all the time. And you will find that you would rather sit and stare at her then be on the computer!!

Joe N' Jess said...

It's so true, as you now see, the baby is now here (as I am reading this SO late!) and I bet you have less time for it and to be just bored. However for me it cut into my down time because I wanted to update people and it seems facebook is the way to do that. I have really wanted to delete ours, but it really has been helpful is keeping us connected with friends!

TannHart said...

I know someone who had the same problem so she had her husband change her password for her. Now anytime she wants to get on he has to log her in. It keeps her from checking it all the time...but if she needs to get on to update people or whatever then she just has him log her in (does that make sense?)