Sunday, June 13, 2010

Preparing to be foster/adopt parents

In November of last year, after trying for almost a year ourselves to get pregnant, Justin and I decided to consider other options. We did this not simply because we thought we wouldnt be able to have kids but because we just felt like this was the right thing to do. So we starting to do some research and found that there are plenty of kids out there that need a good home to grow up in so that is how we found foster care.
The foster care process is such a long process. We had NO IDEA!!! First we had to do the initial application and back ground check. Once you pass that then they have to do the first walk-thru of your house. This is where they tell you everything you need to do to make your house safe. For example, you have to have hand railings, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, locked medicine cabinets etc... (all stuff that we hadnt even thought of!) The next part was getting referrals. Each person we put as a reference had to fill out a questionnaire about us. So once those were in your start a 9 weeks process of classes. They were 3 hours every Monday night and they were an hour away! Justin and I missed one of the classes so now we have to wait till July to make it up! Anyhow, along with the classes you have homework and question papers to fill out. Plus you have to have physicals and get your fingerprints done...its crazy! After classes end you have to have 3 home visits with a counselor/worker which last about 2 hours a visit! Anyhow, Justin and I are finally in the ending stages of this long process. We still have to get our physicals and make up our one class and one more home visit. We are getting so excited that this LONG process is almost over. Assuming we get things done we will be officially certified by July 21st!
Anyhow, before we can take in any kids we have to show that we have things like a bed, car seat and so on. Which since Justin and I dont have any kids we really dont have ANY of it! So I went on a craigslist shopping spree and here is what I found!

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

This is the car seat that I found its only been used twice by its previous owner!

I also bought a convertible crib. It can be a crib, a toddler bed or a full size bed! (i didnt take any pics of the bed because its in like 10 pieces right now since we havent set it up!

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

This is the fabric I picked out for the room we tried to go with a gender neutral color with the baby green but there is a little bit of blue in one of the fabrics but it looks great in the room!

I also bought some toys and an extra car seat that is pretty ghetto right now but we are going to recover it with some really cute fabric. I am so excited about all of this stuff!

1 comment:

Joe N' Jess said...

Sorry that I didn't comment before, I just read your blog again and realized I didn't, haha! I did read it though, I didn't just bug you about blogging forever then not read it. I just want you to know that Joey and I are SO happy for the two of you and so proud to be your friends! We can't wait to see what happens with everything in the future with the children that will be in your home! We love and miss you so much! See you in August! P.S. I can't see any of your pics on this blog or the Sadi one.